Scandalously easy and oh so good. Perfect for a painless GF dessert (no expensive, hard to get GF flour!!). I once made this for a bunch of friends, serving it over regular vanilla ice cream. They couldn't believe something so yummy could be so simple. Wonderful and fresh with only 3 ingredients.
Quick and simple
1 lb of fresh strawberries
1/4 c. water (approx.)
1/4 c. white sugar (or more, if desired)
1. Wash and coarsely cut up the strawberries. Any way you cut them up is fine, but thin slices of berry will totally fall apart when cooking . If you want strawberry pieces left over in your syrup, leave the slices at least 1/4th inch thick.
2. Place cut strawberries into a medium saucepan. Add in enough water so that the bottom of the pan is covered (it might be less than 1/4 cup, depends on your pan). This is important.. don't add too much water. Your berries should NOT be swimming in water.
3. Add in white sugar and being cooking berries over high heat. Stir to fully dissolve the sugar. Water will begin to collect rapidly in your pan. Once the water comes to a rapid boil, reduce heat to medium-high.
4. Continue cooking the strawberry syrup for 5 more minutes, watching the pan as the water foams and boils. Take a taste of the pink froth-- add in a bit more sugar if not yet sweet enough.
5. Once the water is reduced by half (might have to briefly remove the pan from the heat to see the water level) turn off the heat and let cool.
6. Serve over white cake, ice cream or pie. Store chilled.