Makes 1.5 cups
Quick and simple
1 c. ketchup*
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce*
1 tbsp. butter (or use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks for a dairy-free version)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. Colgin's liquid smoke (use same flavor as you used on the beef-- I liked
1 tsp. chili powder*
1 tsp. garlic powder*
1 tsp. onion powder*
1/2 tsp. celery flakes *
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper*
*Colgin's Liquid Smoke is GF; McCormick spices are GF; Heinz ketchup is GF; Hunt's tomato sauce is GF
**Make this up when about 30 minutes remain on brisket cooking time
1. In medium saucepan, mix ketchup, tomato sauce, and butter. Begin heating over medium-low heat, stirring to melt the butter.
2. Add in brown sugar and honey. Stir to dissolve the sugar and fully mix in the honey.
3. Add in all the spices, stirring well: liquid smoke, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, celery flakes and a dash of cayenne pepper.
4. Once the sauce is fully mixed and heated through (turn down heat if the sauce begins to bubble) taste it. Add in more honey if too hot. Add in more cayenne pepper if too sweet. Add in more liquid smoke if not tangy enough.
5. Keep moderately hot while meat finishes cooking. Serve generously over warm cooked beef brisket. Works great as a BBQ sandwich sauce. Freezes well.