I love asparagus. I love red potatoes. This was so good. Hearty as well as colorful.
-large saucepan with deep sides
Quick and simple
6-8 large asparagus stalks
2 medium sized red potatoes
1/4 c. water
2+1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium red onion
1/2 of a medium red bell pepper
1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp. dried sweet basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste
mozzarella cheese, for topping
1. Wash and cut the asparagus stalks into 3 inch long pieces; don't slice in half, leave as a whole cylinder. Cube washed red potatoes (skin on) into 1 inch pieces-- larger ones than normal for a stir-fry.
2. Coarsely slice up red onion. Also dice up the red bell pepper half. Set onion and bell pepper aside.
3. Place asparagus and potato cubes only into a large saucepan. Pour in 1/4 c. water along with 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Begin cooking veggies over high heat, rapidly boiling the water on the bottom of the saucepan. Cook until all the water is gone, around 5 minutes.
4. Turn heat down to medium. Add in red onion, bell pepper, parsley flakes and basil leaves. I didn't want this too pesto-y but add in more basil if you wish. Pour in another 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
5. Continue to cook veggies for another 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, but not too much. You want the veggies to sit for awhile on bottom to make them brown a little. Add in more olive oil if the potatoes soak up too much.
6. Dish is done when potatoes are toasted and veggies are soft. Serve warm. Sprinkle mozzarella on top right away, when still hot, if you crave cheese-- could also top with a layer of Italian bread crumbs.