Crisp and fresh... wonderful as an easy side dish to meat. I cook mine over a pot inside a strainer.
-large pot with lid
-strainer or vegetable steamer
Quick and simple
1 medium head of broccoli
water to fill pot
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut and wash broccoli. They should be in large, but bite sized, pieces.
2. Fill pot halfway with water and place strainer inside, so it is resting on the rim of the pot.
3. Place broccoli inside strainer and cover with the lid; there will be a gap.
4. Heat on 'high'. Let the water reach and stay at a rolling boil, steaming the broccoli for 5-10 minutes. Test veggies for done-ness around 6 minutes, they should be crisp, but not tough or mushy. Be careful not to burn yourself on the escaping steam.
5. Remove from strainer, sprinkle with desired salt and pepper and serve hot.