Sunday, February 18, 2007

French Fries

I've been on a mission for awhile now, trying to duplicate fast food french fries so I could enjoy them again. This recipe won't produce crispy, golden fries like the ones at restaurants, but these partially-fried potatoes still taste good enough to eat on a busy afternoon or as a side dish, especially topped with ketchup.



Serves 2
40 minutes
-small saucepan
-small bowl filled with cold water
-small bed of paper towels
-sharp knife, or mandolin slicer
Quick and simple

INGREDIENTS
1 large russet potato, or 2-3 smaller golden potatoes (I personally liked the golden's taste better, but I know many people swear by russets)
3 tbsp. peanut oil for frying
salt and ketchup* for topping (or cheese, maybe chili?)
*Heinz ketchup is GF

DIRECTIONS
1. Wash potatoes and thinly slice them lengthwise into 1/4th inch thick pieces. Don't bother to peel them beforehand. (Russets make longer strips than the goldens). Try to make strips as uniform as possible.
2. Place thin potato strips into a bowl filled with cold water. Let the strips sit for around 5 minutes while the excess starch bleeds out.
3. Drain water. When partially dry, place some into a small saucepan.. DON'T overcrowd the pan. I use a little pan so a small amount of oil will go a longer way; you'll have to fry them in batches.
4. Add in 3 tbsp. frying oil to potatoes, or enough oil to barely cover bottom of pan.
5. Turn heat onto medium and fry potatoes for 5-10 minutes, turning frequently to avoid one side burning. Frying time will greatly depend on thickness of potatoes and kind. Russets took alot longer to cook than the goldens, by about 2 mintues.
6. When parts of potato are slightly crisp, remove slices from oil and place on waiting paper towels. Since these are not deep fried, they won't be totally crispy (tender enough to need a fork to eat ).

7. Sprinkle generously with salt and eat with some ketchup or smother in melted cheese.

3 comments:

Sea said...

I'm a big fan of the potato myself. :) Have you tried oven roasting potatoes? There are a lot of recipes out there, and I find they get a really nice texture this way- just drizzle some olive oil on top and add spices to taste and bake on high heat.. Another neat trick is boiling them, letting them cool, and then sauteeing them in a pan in oil.

I think the trick a lot of restaurants use is twice deep frying potatoes to first seal in moisture and then increasing the crispiness. You can also try a twice browning technique like in indian cooking- makes for a very nice potato without too much oil. Can you tell I am almost obsessed with potatoes? ;)

Happy eating!
-Sea

visit my gluten free blog
www.bookofyum.com

smash. said...

Sea-
Hey thanks for the advice! I'm SO HAPPY potatoes are gluten-free!I've tried oven roasting red potatoes in butter and I really like them. I'll do it again with olive oil before long-- that sounds even better.

Fast food french fries were one of the two unhealthy foods I really liked prior to diagnosis. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to do it without tons of oil...

But for now I should bake up somemore potato wedges.

Ashley

btw- Your book of yum recipes look fantastic.

Sea said...

Thanks Ashley! :) Potatoes are pretty terrific. Hey, this isn't healthy, and is probably absolutely the last thing you'd want to blog about, but have you tried the frozen french fry potatoes? Quite a few are gluten free- especially from Ore-Ida if I remember. I used to bake/broil them and even though there is some oil it's not as bad as deep frying...

from one potato fan to another,
Sea