These taste just like miniature chocolate covered candy bars and are ridiculously easy. Also can be made dairy free! Picture shows pb filling.
Quick and simple
40 Envirokidz vanilla animal cookies .. the flat square ones.
1/4 c. (or more) chocolate chips*
1 tsp. shortening (NOT butter)
*I used Enjoy Life dairy free chips
Peanut butter or any jam/fruit preserve of choice; perhaps strawberry or cherry or orange marmalade-- I've also used fresh fruit in between, too
I bet caramel or marshmallow would also be good!
1. Place animal cookies out on parchment paper over a large plate or small cookie sheet.
2. Spread your favorite filling on 20 of the cookies. Use remaining cookies as the top half of the sandwich. Be sure to press down well. I found the fruit cookies didn't stay together as well as the pb ones.
3. Pour chocolate chips out into small saucepan or pot. Begin melting chips over low heat, stirring in the shortening until smooth and silky. This does not take too long.
4. Remove from heat and place cookies carefully into chocolate until well coated. If the fruit ones fall apart, just drizzle chocolate over them (and down the sides) instead of dipping.
5. Once fully coated with chocolate, let them firm up in the fridge or freezer.