Sunday, June 21, 2009

Zucchini Bacon Mac and Cheese

Yellow summer squash with sweet orange bell pepper and crispy bacon. Plenty of melted cheddar to make this mac and cheese. Really good.



Serves 2
30 minutes
- large saucepan
- large pot
Easy

INGREDIENTS
1.5 to 2 c. cooked GF spiral pasta; I use Tinkyada
1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
1 large jalapeño, minced
2 large yellow summer squash
6 pieces of thick cut bacon*
1/2 to 3/4 c. sharp cheddar cheese

*Oscar Meyer thick-cut bacon is GF

DIRECTIONS
0. Boil pasta in a large pot until barely tender. Drain water. Stir in a bit of butter to keep it from sticking while you prepare the veggies.
1. Wash and slice the orange bell pepper. Chop into 1/2" square pieces. Wash and dice the jalapeño, removing seeds. Slice the yellow squash into 1/2" thick circles. Half each circle.
2. Rinse off the meat. In the large saucepan, cook bacon strips over medium heat. Flip as needed to avoid burning. Once they are well browned (takes about 10 minutes), remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain and cool. Pour out excess bacon grease, reserving 2 Tbsp. of oil.
3. In the same large saucepan (minus cooked bacon), add in the orange bell pepper and jalapeño. Raise heat to medium-high. Saute the peppers for 2 minutes, then add in the yellow zucchini slices. Saute the veggies in the bacon grease, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Cook until zucchini and bell peppers are soft, but not mushy-- should take around 5 minutes.
4. Stir the cooked noodles into the sauteed veggies. Crumble the cooked bacon strips over the top. Mix well, then, pour in the cheddar cheese. Reheat the pasta over medium-low heat just enough to melt the cheddar. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Rhoni said...

woo hoo! I just found your blog and feel like I hit the gluten-free jackpot! I'm not a celiac, I think I'm just sensitive to wheat, but I'm really changing my life around and prioritizing the food I put inside of me. It's a struggle. I don't eat meat, I'm cutting out soy, and I'm cautious with dairy...I feel like I don't know what to eat any longer! I will be searching through your blogs!

smash. said...

Hi Rhoni-
Hooray for Gluten Free!
The diet is tough at the beginning. I remember being overwhelmed by all of the non-options. Dairy-free was even harder to do. There are a few good substitutes out there-- Tofutti sour cream and cream cheese I found to be nearly perfect. Galaxy Nutritional Foods Rice Cheese (the ones w/casein, but not lactose) melts great.
Luckily, there are TONS of GF blogs out there for inspiration. GF goddess I think has lots of other dietary restrictions, so it might be a good place to start.
I like your blog, btw, and your politics. Your post about GMO scares me, though. :)
Good luck with everything!!
Ashley