This is a lame recipe, but I am still desperately trying to get over a painful glutening episode (mystery cross-contamination, of course). Very fast and mild 'rice bowl'-- plus it's super easy, even for college-folk.
Quick and simple
1/2 c. uncooked long grain white rice
1 c. water
1 small zucchini
1/2 of a 15 oz can of pinto beans (or any other bean)
drop of oil (or butter?), if desired
salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour 1/2 c. uncooked rice into medium pot. Add in 1 c. water and begin boiling over high heat.
2. Wash zucchini and cut into 1/2 inch slices while water is heating. Cut eat slice into 4ths.
3. Just before rice reaches a rolling boil (~5 minutes), add in zucchini. Turn heat down to medium and continue to simmer all for 10 minutes.
4. Open can of pinto beans and drain beans thoroughly (2-3 rinses). When rice and zucchini are tender, with only a little water left, add in beans.
5. Stir an additional 5 minutes until water is totally evaporated/absorbed and beans are heated through.
6. Season and enjoy a mild, warm dish.